Ryan Holiday’s Best Life Hack: Finding The Right Spouse
- “I’ve never really seen someone come out and say: Find yourself a spouse who complements and supports you and makes you better.”
- “I’ve found that nearly every person I admire—every person I’ve met who strikes me as being someone who I would like to one day be like—lives a quiet life at home with a person who they’ve teamed up with…for life. The reason this one person strikes us as special, I find, is because they’re really two people.”
Luka Doncic’s Secret Workout with Steph Curry – NBC Sports
- “Payne has micromanaged Curry’s every movement using tools like strobe-light glasses, tennis balls and FitLight training bulbs that operate like traffic signals. He even trained Curry’s breathing patterns. Some have called him a basketball version of J.K. Simmons’ character from Whiplash.”
The Fish That Ate The Whale by Rich Cohen
- Sam “The Banana Man” Zemurray has got to be one of the MOST interesting people I’d never heard of. His story is an incredible rags-to-riches, extreme capitalism saga that begins with him entering the banana trade at 18, discovering a method to quickly sell bananas on the cusp of ripening, banking $100K three years later (almost $3 million today), buying land in Honduras, going into deep debt, contracting mercenaries to overthrow the Honduran government to ultimately win concessions and low taxes for his business, selling his business to United Fruit Company for $31.5 million in stock, then buying United Fruit Company after mismanagement and the Great Depression brought down the stock by 90%, firing the board of directors and seizing control, and working with Edward Bernays (pioneer of public relations – see his work done for Lucky Stripe cigarettes) and the U.S. State Department through near state capture to orchestrate a coup against the government of Guatemala to regain private land that had been expatriated (United Fruit Co was the largest private land owner). What a tale.
- Fun facts: Edward Bernays’ great uncle was Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, and Bernays is also the great uncle to one of the Netflix co-founders. Additionally, Eli Black, who took over United Fruit after Zemurray had stepped down, was the father of Leon Black, who went on to found Apollo Global Management. Like Bernays said – “In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons…who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.” Reminds me of Robert Greene’s Laws of Human Nature.
Own the Day, Own Your Life by Aubrey Marcus
- Great resource to help you plan and execute a single, perfect day. A great exercise for anyone and everyone to do: can you challenge yourself and engineer for yourself one ideal day?
- Also helpful for nutrition and general wellbeing
Lessons from Bruce Lee – Ignore Limits Blog
- “Absorb what is useful. Reject what is useless. Add what is essentially your own.”
- “A child must be taught early that money is only a means, a type of usefulness, an implement. Like all instruments, it has certain purposes, but it will not do everything. One must learn how to use it, what it will do, but above all what it will not do.”
Great Podcast on Innovation and Scientific Progress with Patrick Collison of Stripe – EconTalk
Skiing Adventures in Afghanistan – FT